Prof. Tekateru UMEDA
Sahavirya Steel Industries, Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand
Date of birth: March 08, 1940
Executive advisor for R/D, Sahaviriya Steel Industries Co. Ltd. (Thailand)
Visiting Professor, Chulalongkorn University (Thailand)
Visiting Professor, Joining and Welding Research Institute, Osaka University
Professor Emeritus, The University of Tokyo
Professor Emeritus, Northwestern University (China)
Advisor, San Etsu Metal Industries Co. Ltd., (Japan)
B.S. in Metallurgy, TheUniversityof Tokyo, 1963.
M.S. in Metallurgy, TheUniversityof Tokyo, 1965.
Doctor of Engineering, TheUniversityof Tokyo, 1968.
Professional Career Summary
Date Title Organization
Apr.1968to Mar. 1969 Researcher The University of Tokyo
Apr.1969to Mar. 1970 Research Associate The University of Tokyo
Apr.1970to Mar1974 Assistant Professor The University of Tokyo
Apr.1974to Jun. 1985 Associate Professor The University of Tokyo
Jul. 1985toMar. 2000 Professor The University of Tokyo
Apr 2000 - present Professor Emeritus The University of Tokyo
Apr 2000 - present Visiting Professor Chulalongkorn University
May 2003 - present Professor Emeritus Northeastern University (China)
Jun 2003 - present Visiting Professor JWRI, Osaka University
Dec 2004 - present Advisor San Etsu Metal Industries Co. Ltd., (Japan)
Jun 2008 - present Visiting Professor JWRI, Osaka University
1989, 1993, 1997 Visiting Professor EPFL (Switzerland)
Apr 2000 – Mar 2003 Part-time Lecturer Shibaura Institute of Technology (Japan)
May 2005 – Apr 2008 Executive invited foreign professor NortheasternUniversity (China)
May 2006 – Apr 2008 Advisor Nippon Light Metals Industries Co., Ltd.
University Administration and Teaching: As Department Headof Metallurgyat the University of Tokyo, Dr. Umedaestablished thesuccessful program with industry: Exchange and Cooperation of Materials Science and Engineering between Department and industry.Heled Materials Processing and Evaluation Center and Nano-Materials Center in Department from Monbusyo of 500 million yen from1987-1989. The name of Nano-Materials Center was first established. He devoted to teach the application of continuum mechanics and mass transfer to materials science and engineering, especially for the field of solidification and castings. At ChulalongkornUniversity, he developed a faculty development in teaching excellence center in solidification processing.
Research Activities: His main research topics are classified as three groups and published more than 300 papers;
1) Solidification, Casting and Crystal Growth; a) Mechanisms of Solidification of Materials, b) Solidification processing such as continuous casting and near net shape continuous casting, c) Solidification analysis of castings and ingots are performed. His contributions to this field are really great, therefore he received many awards.
2) Structure Property Relations of Castings; To Improve reliability of castings, he made great progress in application of fracture toughness to castings, for example, effect of matrix structure and graphite morphology to strength and fatigue of cast irons was investigated.
3) Application of Solidification Processing to Advanced Materials; he constructed phase diagram and showed a guideline for structure control of rare-earth magnets, magnetostrictive materials, superconducting materials and Si single crystal. Structure- property relations of magnetic materials and superconducting materials were intensively investigated and awarded from many societies.
Service and Consulting: Dr. Umedahas served as consultant to many companies and lectured overseas.
Toyohashi Institute of Technology, Hokkaido University, Tohoku University, Nagoya University, Kyushu University, Shibaura Institute of Technology.
HONORARY AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES.
1997 - 2001 President of 19th Committee on Steelmaking of JSPS, Life Fellow
1993 - 1997 Chairman of Solidification Processing of 19th Committee on Steelmaking of JSPS
2000 - 2002 Vice President of Japan Foundry Engineering Society
1999 - 2000 Vice President of Japan Institute of Metals
1986 - 1988 Principal Editor of Japan Foundrymen's Society
1990-2007Chairman of Copper Committee of Japan Non-Ferrous Alloy Casting Association
Experienced Board Members at Japan Institute of Metals, Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, Japan Light Metals Institute and Japan Foundry Engineering Society.
Current membership: JIM(Japan Institute of Metal), ISIJ (Iron and Steel Institute of Japan), JFE (Japan Foundry Engineering Society), TMS
GLOBAL Professional Activities
▪ Chairman, OECD Investigation Committee of Human-Resouces Improvement for Chulalongkorn University, 1990-1992.
▪ Steering Committee, Thai-Japan Technology Transfer Project, 1996-1998.
▪ Visiting Scholar at National Metals and Materials Institute of Polish Academy of Science, April-May 1999
▪ OECF visiting professor, Chulalongkorn University, Apr. 2000-Sep. 2006.
▪ Board Member, Asia Foundry Congress, 2001to present.
▪ Board Member, Thai Foundrymen’s Society, 2000 to 2008.
1975 Tawara Paper Awards(Best Papers) of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan
1979 Nishiyama Memorial Awards of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan
1983 Kobayashi Prize (1)(Best Papers)of the Japan Foundrymen's Society
1983 Kobayashi Prize (2) (Best Papers) of the Japan Foundrymen's Society
1985 Best Awarded Paper of the Japan Foundrymen's Society
1986 Representative Paper of Japan in 53rd World Foundry Congress
1986 Kobayashi Prize(Best Papers)of the Japan Foundrymen's Society
1987 Best Awarded Paper of the Japan Institute of Metals
1990 Kobayashi Prize(Best Papers)of the Japan Foundrymen's Society
1990 Contribution Prize of the Japan Non-Ferrous Alloy Casting Association
1991 Best Awarded Paper of the Japan Institute of Metals
1992 Iidaka Prize of the Japan Foundrymen's Society
1992 Contribution Prize of the Japan Foundrymen's Society
1996 Mishima Awards of the Japan Iron and Steel Institute
1997 Technology Award of the Japan Non-Ferrous Alloy Casting Association
1997 Best Paper Award of Power Lead Division at the Workshop of Superconductivity organized by MRS-ISTEC
1999 Sawamura Paper Awards of the Japan Iron and Steel Institute (Best Awarded Paper of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan International)
1999 Kobayashi Prize(Best Papers)of the Japan Foundry Engineering Society
2000 Hakaru Masumoto Prize of the Japan Institute of Metals
2001 Ministry Award for Standardization from Ministry of Economics and Industries
2004 Distinguished Award for 70th Anniversary of Foundation of 19th Committee of Steel Making, JSPS
2006 Technology Award of Japan Non-Ferrous Alloy Casting Association
2007 Special Contribution Award of Japan Non-Ferrous Alloy Casting Association
BOOKS OR CHAPTERS
Two books as editor;
T. Umeda; Materials Processing (I), Press of The University of Tokyo, (1987)
T. Umeda; Metallic Electronics Materials, Baihu-Kan, (1995)
Many books as author in part.
Takateru Umeda, Heat Transferof Continuous Casting and ESR,continuous development since 1978.
Chungpyo Hong, and Takateru Umeda, Solidification Analysis by BEM,1984.
Sang hyun Cho,Toshimitsu Okane and Takateru Umeda, Solidification Structure Prediction, 2000
PAPERS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
More than 300 Papers are published.